HAPPY BIRTHDAY FRENCH LIN.. Hi Blogland. Today is a very special friends birthday.. Now, I'm not going to reveal her age, but suffice to say she can get on a bus for free, if you know what I'm saying, and has been able to for a year now!!!
She is lucky enough to spend part of the year living in the South of France, most of the rest of the year she spends here at Pinnacles!!! Never a truer statement eh Lin!!..So, with the French theme in mind here is the birthday card I made for her.. Well, I say card! To be honest I think this is my biggest card/project/gift/keepsake, whatever you want to call it, to date.. And here's how I made it if you fancy giving it, or something similar a go...
LONG POST ALERT!! GRAB A CUPPA!!I cut out the Eiffel Tower image from the Destinations Cartridge on my Cricut Machine using Light Blue Mirror card. Yes I know! I use a lot of Mirror card, but it is so effective, and yes, sorry if you come in to the shop and it is sold out! that's usually because I've grabbed it first!! We do order an astonishing amount though! I cut out One image using the "Sites" function and Shift @ 5 1/2". This Cartridge does not have a "Shadow" function as such, but the "Sites" function and Shift does the same job and cut this image slightly larger and with less detail than the next Two images I cut out. Therefore, I then cut Two Eiffel Tower images using the "Sites" function, this time without using Shift, producing Two slightly smaller images with a little more detail.
As one of the smaller images will be going on top I wanted to give it a bit more of a structure effect, a metallic effect if you like.So I passed one of the smaller images through the Cuttlebug using the Herring Bone Embossing Folder. I lined the folder up with the centre of the image to give a more symmetrical look. Although the image was slightly too big for the folder and the feet of the Tower have not been embossedI still think it looks effective! Happy accident I say..I then cut out the words "Eiffel Tower" & "France" @ 5 1/2". For those who are thinking "emm you say 5 1/2" but the words are not the same size as the Tower itself which was also cut at 5 1/2"!" Correct!! all elements are cut in relation to the largest image. If I wanted the "Words" to be truly 5 1/2" then I would have selected REAL DIAL SIZE... I also cut the backing plates for the words at the same size and layered them together.I really like the embossed effect that colour on colour brings to this part of the project..Next, I cut out gates from the new Heritage Cartridge. From the very first time I saw these images I knew I was going to use these gates on something. They are so ornate and were very easy to work with. I cut the gate image twice at 5 1/2" using Black Mirror card and then using the "Shadow" function again at 5 1/2" onto Light Green Mirror cardand then stuck the Black onto the Green, giving a subtle shadow effect.
The whole idea of this project was to gain some dimension, as if you were looking through the gates up to the Eiffel Tower.Thumbing through my cartridge books I came across the Grand Canyon Image on the Destinations Cartridge.This I cut out again at 5 1/2" onto some path effect paper and hand cut off the excess paper.Taking Two pieces of A3 card stock I scored in from each side at 1", 2" and 3 3/4" from One side on both pieces. These folds were creased in a concertina fold.Measure down the side of the edge of the card 4", and from the inner most fold, line up your Ruler and cut off the excess card stock. Do this on both pieces of card stock.Again, this is to add dimension to the project.I then attached my Sky and Grass card stock,my path,then my City Skyline, which was cut from Plantin Scoolbook @ 3 1/2"and then the Eiffel Tower Image.. Phew! that's the inside done.. Do I still have your attention? I told you it was a long post didn't I!.. LOL!
So, happy with the inside, it was time to get started on the outside.
I Cut the Lamppost image form Christmas/Noel @ 11", firstly on Black Mirror card and then using the Blackout function onto Gold Mirror card, again at 11". I also cut the bases of the Lamppost at 11" (remember all elements are in relation to the largest image, unless Real Dial Size is on!). I also decided to emboss the bases, I know they are bearly going to be seen, but I am an up most believer that if you are going to do something you might as well do it right! I embossed them through the Cuttlebug using the Distress Stripes Embossing Folder,and then stuck all the pieces together,then in turn stuck the Lamppost's to the sides of the project using Hi Tac tape.Then taking the gates, I stuck them on top of the Lampposts.
We're nearly there!! Honest!I cut a tree image form the Heritage cartridges on to Black Mirror card at 9 1/2".And then cut it in half using a Craft Knife and Ruler. I ran a thin piece of High Tac tape down the inside of one of the inner folds of the card and stuck half of the tree to each side...Then DISASTER!!! As not all of the branches needed sticking down some of the tape was still exposed, and when I folded the card back up , yes you guessed it the tape stuck to the card stock, and yes it was High Tac tape so it was difficult prizing it off of the card stock with out ripping! But rip it did!!In heine site I should have used my de tacking powder first as this prevents any adhesive which you don't want to stick from sticking!! This I have now done, and to cover up my mistake I just extended the path a little further.. Phew!! panic over!So, here is a little close up of the gates themselves..And the final card.. I know Lin is going to love it. And I couldn't be prouder of my project, now I think I'll make one for the shop..
Thanks for checking us out
See you soon,